The Mole Valley walks programme is planned on a quarterly basis, and the Walks Programme Coordinator will prompt when planning begins for the subsequent quarter's programme. However, offers of walks are welcome at any time. The notes below give an outline of the timetable we work to, and the information we need from leaders in order to be able to enter walks on to the online system hosted by Ramblers: GWEM (Group Walks and Events Manager). This enables people to find our walks through the main Ramblers "Walk finder" search facility, as well as displaying them on our own website and in a printable format.
The timetable for production of the programme is as follows:
- Book your walk dates as soon as possible; ideally at least 6 weeks before start of next quarter’s programme
- Submit details at least 3, preferably 4, weeks before the quarter start to enable them to be included in the printable programme that is distributed by email and post
- Be ready to check details of walks as prompted when they have been uploaded on to GWEM
- Later walks can be added to GWEM at any time
The information needed is:
- Day of the week and date
- Start time, using 24-hour clock
- Title; make sure this is informative and inviting. This is what appears on the Home page of the website, so it needs to encourage visitors to click for more details. The default is Circular so no need to include that in the title; likewise if a walk is around 6 miles it can be assumed it is a half day walk. But do please mention if it is whole day, afternoon, or some social or other special occasion.
- Start place, with any special directions needed. If using a car park that has not been used before please double check on its suitability for the number of cars that might be coming.
- Grid reference, check against those on the MVR Car Parks map. There is no need to provide postcodes, the system allows for those to be inserted automatically.
- Description, with an outline of route, any special features, an idea of hilliness (we have yet to establish a particular set of adjectives, so ideas welcome !) or any other challenges.
- Distance, in miles
- Leader’s forename (with mobile number if leading for first time). Phone numbers get inserted automatically if you have led before.
- There is no need to mention pace of walk unless it is anything other than Moderate, as most of our walks are. The alternatives are Leisurely or Brisk.