Mole Valley Ramblers - Guidance for Walk Leaders
Planning the walk
1. The Rendezvous, start time, route and distance of each walk is at the discretion of each leader.
2. We suggest that you plan your walk using Ordnance Survey Explorer 1:25000 maps.
3. Unless you know the route well, it is recommended that you walk it out beforehand and identify places for coffee,tea breaks and comfort stops.
4. The starting point needs to have parking for at least 20 cars.
On the day
1. We suggest that you carry a small first aid kit (plasters and antiseptic wipes) and a mobile phone.
2. Arrive in plenty of time - we suggest 20/25 minutes before the start of the walk.
3. Take the names of the walkers and welcome newcomers as they arrive.
4. If any walkers have a dog, explain that it should be kept on a lead.
5. Call everyone together at the start time, introduce any new members, and give a short desription of the walk.
6. Appoint a back marker if there are more than 10-15 walkers.
7. Wait about 5 minutes after the start time in case there are latecomers.
8. Lead from the front, keep an eye on the rear and stop where paths divide for everyone to catch up.
9. To add interest, point out landmarks or things of historical interest as appropriate.
10. Ensure that on roads everyone walks in single file and normally on the right.
11. After the walk fill in a walk report and send it, peferably by email, to Cliff Weight.
1. Mole Valley Ramblers walk in most weathers but occasionally, at the discretion of the leader, walks are cancelled because of bad weather (excessive wind, floods or very heavy snow and ice), or because of illness. If you know a day in advance of a walk cancellation, please contact a member of the committee so that an email can be sent out and an announcement can be put on this website. If you cancel on the day please, if possible, go to the rendezvous to tell any prospective walkers who have turned up.
2. Finally enjoy the walk yourself.